Join our Discord!

Build Log Project Cheapass Dual CPU custom watercooling server gaming crazy idea thing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by The Flying Sloth, Oct 1, 2016.

1. The Flying Sloth

The Flying Sloth Development Senior Management Development Team

Jun 29, 2015

View attachment 0774R77.png

Old server => Fully watercooled gaming PC conversion

Hello and welcome to The Flying Sloth's first LTT build log. This build has not been sponsored by anyoneView attachment sad.png (but you can totally hit me up if you'd like toView attachment tongue.png )

The idea behind this build is to take a Dell Poweredge 2950 Gen III with dual Xeon 5430's and 40GB RAM and convert it into a gaming PC. "But Sloth" you might be saying, "that is a stupid idea and would be easy to do, all you need to do is stick a graphics card in it and you'll be fine?" Well child,I know this is a stupid idea but it will be fun and I can assure you it will not be that simple. The server will be stripped from its 2U chassis and stuffed into a standard desktop tower (with modifications), using the cheapest possible PCI 8 to 16x converter to add a Radeon 6950 AND THEN the water cooling will start.

Pumps will be connected in series in order to maintain maximum pressure and reliability.

I run a music studio and my current PC is both a potato (C2D E7400, 4gb ram) and noisy so this will be both a significant performance upgrade and huge noise upgrade for me.

All my audio gear connects through USB so I'll be fine without 3.5mm jacks onboard.

As a challenge the total budget for this PC is $300 Australian BUT may be extended if necessary.

PARTS ALREADY BOUGHT/OWNED

Gigabyte Windforce Radeon HD 6950 1GB from my current PC ($40)
    View attachment gigabyte_GV-R695OC-1GD.jpg

Dell 2950 2x Quad Core E5430 2.66Ghz with 40GB RAM ($100) Have not received it yet but I should have it in a couple of days
    View attachment %24_20.JPG

PARTS TO ORDER
    COPPER HEATER CORE from local scrapyard ($35 estimated)
    View attachment Standard%20Heater%20Core.jpg

2x Pond Pump 200L / H ($4 each)
    View attachment s-l500.jpg

2x Molex to 6 pin PCI-Express Graphic Card Power Cable ($3 each)

View attachment s-l500.jpg

15.5cm PCI-Express PCI-E 8X to 16X Riser Card ($6)

View attachment s-l1600.jpg

2x Copper CPU Blocks ($14 each)

50 Adjustable Stainless Steel Hose Clamps ($10)

5m 3/8 inch tubing (colour TBD) ($16 maximum)

Mayhems Anti Algae Silver Kill Coil ($14)

140mm Fans (as required, $5 each)

ALL OTHER PARTS/TOOLS WILL BE FABRICATED (bodged) FROM THINGS ALREADY OWNED

Car radiator fluid and distilled water will be used as coolant

1.25L Solo bottle likely to be used as reservoir
    Case may be either bought or built (not decided yet) depending on mounting difficulties
    Everything else will be a nice mixture of Hot Glue, Epoxy, Duct Tape and Zip ties

WILL BE UPDATED WHENEVER NEW PROGRESS IS MADE OR PARTS ARRIVE

UPDATE 1

Server delivery confirmed to be Tuesday night
    Banner Added

View attachment 0774R77.png

upload_2016-10-1_21-57-59.gif

UPDATE 2

Server Delivered,
    Pictures will be added once I get some spare time

Have come across some slight issues.

1. The motherboard is not a standard form factor (I am including server form factors in this statement)
    Solution:
    Use the pre-existing chassis for the gaming build, do a custom spray on chassis (matte black), add a side panel and LED's to make it look nice and wall mount it in the end. This should give it a really custom look.

2. There are a metric s**t-tonne of extra PCB's inside and I have no clue what they're for

Solution:
    Trial and error until I get it to boot with minimal things plugged in.

View attachment IMG_0805.thumb.JPG View attachment IMG_0809.thumb.JPG View attachment IMG_0808.thumb.JPG View attachment IMG_0807.thumb.JPG View attachment IMG_0806.thumb.JPG

UPDATE 3

ALL PARTS ORDERED!!
    FINAL MOTOR CHOICE

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291810427267?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

240L/H and can be mounted outside reservoir unlike the original option

FINAL BLOCK CHOICE
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231783344599?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Cheapest copper block available.

5M of vinyl piping was bought from the local Bunnings

5V blue LED's were bought to go in the CPU blocks

Blue food colouring will be used with distilled water and car radiator liquid as coolant
    Sandpaper bought to begin planning side window of case

Waiting on delivery

Copper heating core will be bought once other parts are all in as it can be picked up anytime (will work out which core to get based on leftover budget)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2