1. Welcome to SMT Gaming! Please create an account and take a look around! :D
    Dismiss Notice

Not interested A Regular System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Shadoo, May 16, 2016.

Good idea?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Shadoo

Shadoo Retired

Feb 16, 2016

Okay so I see a fair amount of player's using the CallAdmin command for fake reports, so me an -=ST=- KingKilla came up with the idea (Mainly killah). So only people with over 24 hours logged into the servers can use that command, then that should stop admins/mod's having to deal with fake reports an wasting there time to go to a certain server, an might stop people from exploiting that command, that is all, thanks for reading :D

• Like Like x 1
    • -=ST=- KingKillah

-=ST=- KingKillah New Member

May 16, 2016

Well just a thought i play on this server almost exclusively and dont want to see the admins abused called in for false reports if the idea helps in any way im happy :p

• -=ST=- Train Overlord!

-=ST=- Train Overlord! Retired

Nov 21, 2015

If only players with 24 hours on the server was to make reports. What if a player is braking the rules. But no one has played for 24 hours? We get reports from servers with not many people on mostly at 10 or 11pm. They only have about 4-6 players on. So chances are they wouldn't have been on for 24 hours. And us staff are happy to respond to reports even if they wrong. Because we can teach that player how to correctly use the system.

• Like Like x 1
      • Shadoo

Shadoo Retired

Feb 16, 2016

I understand that, that's also another thing, if the feature did end up in the server's (Not saying it will) but if there could be certain people that are ment to be on at this time etc, like a job, then if player's did need help with things there would be a certain admin/mod that would be there at that set time, basically a schedule.

• Cenden

Cenden Retired

May 14, 2016

Another idea is we could add a "Member" tag or "M" tag that is applied to all members that are in the Smexy-Trading Steam group. Only people in the Steam group could file reports. This wouldn't prevent all forms of /calladmin abuse but it could deter randoms that have just joined the server that day from using it. Although anyone can join the group, most people that just join a server dont so you would most likely recieve legitimate reports. I know that whenever I submit a report its 100% solid.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
        • Like Like x 1
        • Shadoo

Shadoo Retired

Feb 16, 2016

That's another good idea.

• Enstage

Enstage Owner

Feb 17, 2015

I agree with @orange I've been thinking about doing something like this. I do however see many problems with it, introducing this will mean its another layer of things we have to police in addition to moderating the servers. So while it does improve the situation on the servers it also makes them worse by taking actual staff away from them because they have to manage the members who abuse shit (which will happen, I can tell you that now). Its not just that, but I would have to train them all individually. A lot of things that in theory should work, actually don't. For example, you can't train more than one person at a time in Sourcemod commands lmao

Theres about a 10% chance I implement members, but argh I'm not looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 2
          • Cenden

Cenden Retired

May 14, 2016

I don't think there would be a total need for moderation change in the sense that you can treat false/troll reports the way you always have. You should treat members the same way newbies are treated in terms of enforcing rules I believe. I think that this system will only reduce the amount of these fake reports.

Maybe the only moderation change would be to warn a few more times then eventually ban, seeing as how the "regulars" are more likely to obey after being sufficiently barked at.

• Like Like x 1
            • Enstage

Enstage Owner

Feb 17, 2015

Thats part of the problem. If we give random people access to things like this, they will abuse their power, they will think they are admins, they will enforce things that aren't rules because they can, and they will be bias. Then, if the person doesn't work out as a member and we decided to remove their permissions, they will get salty and stop playing on our servers.

Our only real solution here, is to give all players access to the voteban, votemute, etc commands. I would put a restriction on it so that it can only be used server wide every 300-600 seconds (5-10 minutes) or so. I know some servers that make use of them, I might try this and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
              • Shadoo

Shadoo Retired

Feb 16, 2016

That's could work, but if there is a group of people on there that are friend's that don't like a certain person they could all vote on one certain person, if this doesn't work maybe see if you can get some staff to work out a schedule.

• Cenden

Cenden Retired

May 14, 2016

I would not recommend this.. Maybe to trusted players (players who have accumulated over a week of playtime, etc)

• Like Like x 2
                • Enstage

Enstage Owner

Feb 17, 2015

To counter this I'd have lots of restrictions in place:
                  • 300 second cool down between votes.
                  • 600 second cool down for a single person starting votes (e.g. if I start a vote, I can't start another one for 600 seconds, but someone else can start one in 300 seconds).
                  • Long bans for abuse of the system.
                  • If a vote is successful the ban will only be for 1 day, (and must be reviewed by a staff member maybe?)
                  • 90% of votes must be "yes" votes for anything to happen.
                  • At least 50-60% of the server must choose yes or no for the vote to be valid.
                  • Ability for staff to blacklist players from starting votes, or voting.
                  • Votes cannot be started while a staff member is present.
                  Something like that.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Shadoo

Shadoo Retired

Feb 16, 2016

That's doesn't seem all bad then, but say if there was about 5 player's online on a server an they were trying to do something but someone kept killing them then they all voted for that person to be banned...what would happen? that would be a fake report right? an the person would be unbanned if they actually did nothing against the rules?

• Enstage

Enstage Owner

Feb 17, 2015

ahhh, add this to the list:
                    • Must be more than 15 players in the server for a vote to take place. (or a similar number)

• Like Like x 1
                    • Shadoo

Shadoo Retired

Feb 16, 2016

Sounds like a plan.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Cenden

Cenden Retired

May 14, 2016

That's a bit much imo. I'd say like 2-3 hours, giving enough time for an admin to come on and administer a larger ban time if needed. Also a 2-3 hour ban would deter the person from coming back for longer than the specified time in most cases.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Ellie Goulding

Ellie Goulding [Lifetime Donor]

Apr 1, 2016

if going to make this at lease change the vote thing when it comes up to like number 5 and 6 instead of 1 and 2 because on sever I see a lot on severs players don't care and just casually vote 1

• Like Like x 1
                          • The Slow Scout ⇋HG-A⇌

The Slow Scout ⇋HG-A⇌ New Member

Jul 9, 2016

I don't know if its too late but after reading this thread and it's responses, I wanted to say something.

With the first thought, I disagree with the idea of only allowing certain members to report other players such as steam group members or players with a certain amount of time.
                            Mentioned earlier in this thread, this disallows new players to use the report feature during times when its actually needed. I think it should always be available for everyone. Yes, you guys wont always get legit reports 100% of the time, but its better to have real and fake reports coming in than having only a few real ones come in and have other situations where players are breaking the rules not get dealt with because they couldn't get reported.

With the other thought of the vote system, I also disagree with that even with it's cooldown idea (300 seconds, 600 seconds, etc.)
                            You guys shouldn't allow regular players deal with others on their own. I've been on a few servers with the vote system enabled, it never ends correctly. Its always players kicking others for -
                            • No legitimate reason
                            • Their voice and age (young players speaking)
                            • If someone is annoying you but isn't breaking any rules
                            • To get a laughter
                            And more.

With the cooldown, you guys shouldn't go with that direction in the first place. The reason is because it shouldn't even be happening in the first place, players abusing the vote system. While players who do use the vote system incorrectly get punished, they have already caused trouble before getting punished. You guys get many players connecting, think about the amount of people who will use this for invalid reasons. If too many players use this incorrectly, innocent players will be getting kicked every hour or so. Like I said, the cooldown would support this and help prevent future abuse but it won't help prevent players getting kicked in the first place.

You guys have a group of good staff members :) Shouldn't rely on voting, yes you guys aren't always available which is why you guys have the calladmin feature. And even then if none of you could get on at the time of a report, it can always be reviewed and dealt with later. Not hating on this suggestion, just my opinion. I think it would hurt more than help the community.

• Like Like x 5